Comparing Two Hair Restoration Methods
Two of types of hair restoration procedures on Long Island that are highly popular today include follicular unit extraction (FUE) and follicular unit transplantation (FUT). Both methods involve the relocation of follicular units or hair “roots” that can produce anywhere from 1 to 3 hairs. The two procedures, however, differ in how they are performed, as well as in aspects of the patient’s recovery.
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
• Surgical procedure
• Hair follicular units harvested from strip of skin removed from the scalp
• Surgical site sutured closed
• Prescription pain medication usually needed following the procedure
• May result in unpleasant symptoms (lingering pain, tightness of scalp, tingling, numbness, etc.)
• Weeks of restricted activity
• Linear scar visible with shorter hairstyles
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
• Minimally invasive procedure
• Hair follicular units harvested individually from the back and sides of the head
• No surgical incisions or stitches needed
• Patient may not even need pain medication after procedure
• Virtually pain-free procedure / only minor swelling and discomfort
• Back to regular activities in a few days
• Minimal scarring (no visible linear scar)
Using Robotic Technology for Advanced Precision in Our FUE Procedures at RHR LI, we perform FUE procedures using the ARTAS® Robotic Hair Transplant system. With this system, we are able to use advanced digital imaging and algorithms to identify which hairs are most suitable for harvesting. We are also able to rely on the precision of this state-of-the-art technology for the harvesting and transplantation process, allowing for a much higher level of accuracy and speed in comparison to manual methods.
Most patients who had a previous “strip” or FUT hair restoration procedure usually do not have a second procedure because of the pain they experienced, sleepless nights encountered, and recovery time involved. We are finding that those patients are now electing to have a second hair restoration procedure with the ARTAS® Robot to either increase their density or to address another area. They can’t believe how easy and nearly painless it is and wished this technology were available to them sooner. Their downtime is much shorter, and they have no problems sleeping at night like they experienced with the strip procedure.
If you are interested in undergoing a hair restoration procedure or would like to learn more about the difference between FUE and FUT procedures, call us at (516) 605-1545 or fill out the contact form and someone will get back to you.