Deciding to have a hair restoration procedure is not a snap decision. If you’re considering hair treatment, you should ask the doctor questions before moving forward to ensure the best results.
Do I Have Enough Hair for FUE Hair Restoration?
Before booking a FUE or any other kind of hair restoration procedure, a thorough evaluation is necessary. You should be screened for the type of hair loss, if it’s caused by an underlying medical condition, etc. You also need to get evaluated to tell whether or not you have a sufficient amount of donor hair to have a successful procedure.
It’s always best to evaluate based on your specific needs. However, while both are surgical procedures, Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) is minimally invasive. Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT) leaves a scar in a line where the strip of scalp is removed, whereas FUE does not because it removes individual hair follicles. No surgical stitches are needed for FUE whereas FUT does. Prescription pain medication is usually prescribed after FUT whereas it’s not necessary for for FUE. FUT patients can also sometimes have headaches after the procedure because of the tightened scalp.
What Do I Need to Do Before Hair Transplant Surgery?
- Talk to your surgeon about any medications you’re taking.
- It’s especially important to notify the doctor if you’re taking blood thinners like Plavix, Coumadin and Heparin.
- If you’re taking broad beta-blockers, such as Inderal/Propranolol, notify the doctor before the surgery. A temporary medication change might be necessary.
- Discuss with your doctor what length your hair should be for the procedure. Your ideal pre-surgical hair length will vary according to what your procedure will entail and the location to be extracted from. Leaving some areas long to cover the donation areas could be recommended. For others, uniformly short hair might be recommended.
- Do not take any B or E vitamins for one week before the procedure, including multivitamins, because it could lead to bleeding during the procedure.
- Do not take aspirin or NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), such as Advil, Alka-Seltzer, Bufferin, Excedrin, Nu-Prin, Motrin, Ibuprofen, etc. for one week before the procedure because it can cause bleeding.
- Avoid alcohol for three days prior to your procedure.
- Wash your hair very thoroughly the morning of the procedure using your normal shampoo. Do not use hair products such as sprays, gels, mousse, or other styling products.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing that does not have to be pulled over your head.
- Do not drink coffee, tea, or caffeinated beverages the day of your treatment because they can increase bleeding.
- Your doctor will explain if you can eat the morning of the procedure. For the robotic FUE transplant at RHRLI, you can eat breakfast the morning of the procedure.
- Make arrangements for someone to drive you home after your procedure.
Is Hair Restoration Like FUE Permanent?
Yes, the FUE process transplants hair follicles from the back and sides of your head to fill in the missing areas, making it a permanent change. If you’re having a different type of hair restoration process, ask if it’s permanent.
How Long Will Recovery Take?
This is another question whose answer will vary by the type of procedure you have. For a FUE procedure, especially with a robotic procedure like RHRLI does with ARTAS®, recovery time is quick because it’s a minimally invasive process that does not involve stitches or incisions.
How Long Until I See Results?
That will vary by process. For robotic FUE like RHRLI does, new hair will begin around three months after the procedure. Within six months you’ll have significant hair growth and after a year, you’ll have final results.
Whatever your questions about hair restoration procedures, Dr. Gohil has years of experience to answer each one. At Robotic Hair Restoration of Long Island, we’re hair restoration experts.
RHRLI Offers the Most Modern FUE Treatments
If you’re considering FUE hair restoration treatment, RHRLI is the premier facility on Long Island and in New York City. Dr. Baiju Gohil is a board-certified hair restoration surgeon with many years of experience using state-of-the-art hair restoration techniques to create the hairline you want. During your free consultation, Dr. Gohil will evaluate your hair loss and determine whether you’re a good candidate for ARTAS® hair restoration, so contact RHRLI today and get started.