People think of summer tans and swimming affecting the skin. Summer can also take a toll on your hair.
How Summer Can Hurt Your Hair
- The hot sun dries out hair just like everything else.
- Sunburned scalp can be painful.
- People assume hair protects the scalp but that’s not necessarily the case, and people dealing with hair loss have special concerns.
- Summer humidity can make hair lifeless and limp.
- Hot weather leads to sweating, which can contribute to problems like hair being frizzy, dandruff, and split ends.
- Dry feeling summer hair can lead to over-conditioning, which can also make hair limp.
- Chlorine from swimming pools can dry hair and affect processed color.
- Saltwater from the ocean can also increase the dryness of your hair.
- Colored hair fades faster in the sun and some experts warn that hair can burn and turn brownish.
- Sunscreen can leave greasiness near the hairline.